About Us Vermont Noise Regulations
Contact Us

The State of Vermont does not have regulations that set community noise exposure criteria.

The Vermont Act 250 regulation requires new construction  projects that meet applicable thresholds to undergo a rigorous review process.  The Act 250 land use and development control law is administered by the Environmental Board through nine district commissions.  The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources is a statutory party to all Act 250 permit requests.

The Act 250 regulations can require project noise impact assessments if noise is perceived as a potential problem.  The Act 250 regulations do not contain formal impact assessment procedures or criteria levels.


The State laws allow individual communities to establish noise regulations through community by-laws.  Many local communities have some form of community noise ordinance.  Inquire at the local town hall, the clerk or manager's office, to see if local noise regulations exist.

 The material presented herein is intended for informational purposes only. Regulations continually evolve and are subject to change.  We do not warranty this information and remind any users of this information to research the current validity and applicability.